Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Erica's Fitness Tip

I don't care for straight cardio {unless I'm reading a book while on the stationary bike}. I much prefer to lift weights; I love, love when I can feel firm muscles under my less-firm areas. Silly, I know, but still - I love feeling strong! But we all know that cardio is good for our hearts, vascular systems, etc. So here's my fitness tip: TABATA! In Tabata, you work harder, not longer. It's a high interval training style set up in 4 minute rounds. You push for 20 seconds, rest for 10, then repeat - a total of 8 rounds. With the flexibility of the new workout points, it's a great, fast workout. I usually do 4 rounds in a workout, varying the exercises and ending with a cardio stint - cycling, sprinting, elliptical or rowing. This is TOUGH! You will definitely feel sore, but it's that I-had-an-awesome-workout sore. You can use any type of exercise you want, so it's easy to set up a workout and easy to do from home. 

On days I don't do Tabata (which is often), I make sure to move from exercise to exercise quickly. And I usually try to do whole body exercises; a squat with a front raise, lunge with a bicep curl, etc. By still pushing myself and not resting for longer than 10 seconds, I can keep my heart rate at a "cardio" pace, without all the time on the treadmill. 

And that's my favorite fitness tip.

No comments:

Post a Comment